November 26, 2007

13w4d - 26w2d to go!

Happy happy, joy joy, we have more pictures! I will get to those momentarily.

We went for the NT (nuchal translucency) scan today. This is the ultrasound that measures the nasal bone and nuchal fold to determine risk of Down's Syndrome and trisomy 18 (Edward's Syndrome). Everything so far has measured normal. The nuchal fold measured 1.25mm, which is well within the normal range, and the tech did not seem concerned at all about the nasal bone. She said everything looked good and healthy.

I have to tell you, though, this kid has already got a sense of humor and a fighting spirit. He (or she - I'll just say "he" for sake of simplicity) had worked himself into a very awkward position. Imagine standing on your neck....inverted, with your feet up against the wall. That was the position he had worked himself into for a good portion of the exam! The tech kept pushing on him with the camera, trying to work him into a good position, and every time she pushed down to get him to move, he pushed back with his little hands! It was like he was saying, "Hey crazy lady, stop pushing on me!" It was so cute, I was dying trying to avoid laughing because he was just moving around like crazy and I wanted him to calm down and get into a good position for the scan! Eventually he worked his way flat again, and she jumped in and got the scan as quick as she could!

The tech also commented on how active he is - he was bouncing, squirming, shaking his fist, kicking his legs, even did a little backflip and switched positions (you'll notice that he's facing one way in one picture, and another in the other two!) He was ALL OVER the place. I'm growing a miniature athlete!

She also had trouble getting the nasal bone because he kept sticking his thumb in his mouth...which I thought was adorable.

It was just amazing to see that what was just a 2mm dot on my first ultrasound at 5 weeks is now person-shaped (and 7.48 centimeters!) and even has little hands...at one point he stretched his fingers out and I saw a definite "hand" - he's got long fingers! He's still measuring right on time - according to my due date, I should be 13 weeks, 4 days today, and sure enough, he measured 13 weeks, 4 days. So we are right on par for a May 29th due date.

The heartbeat was still good today. 158 beats per minute. Still sounds like a boy to me!

Speaking of that - we have said all along that we DO NOT want to know the sex of the baby, but the tech took a moment today to examine his legs and showed me where both of them were. He (or she!) would have been in a good position to see "it" but there was nothing to see yet. Not that I want to see it. But now I know the baby has two perfectly formed legs and I can look away.

So, now the pictures you've been waiting for! We got three of them today:





No comments: