June 17, 2009

I'm Not Part of the Cupcake Police Squad

As crazy and hectic as my mornings are, I don't often catch Good Morning America in the morning. I do sometimes read their articles, and this morning, I read this article about a mom on a crusade against junk food that threw me for a loop.

To provide a loose summary for those as busy as I am -- this mom is so adamant that her children not be served junk food that she has them collect any food served that's not on the school menu in a Tupperware and bring it home to discuss. She has bad-mouthed overweight celebrities, used foul language at PTA meetings,  stopped by police while protesting an ice cream display at the gym, and even been asked to move away by other parents for her outspoken stance against junk food. Finally, she thinks that parents should be given permission slips to sign in order for their children to be served treats at special events.

As a parent, I feel strongly about teaching moderation to my child because I want her to be healthy, but I think it's just as unhealthy to go the opposite direction and make a huge issue out of food. Do I think she should eat cake and candy daily? Of course not. But do I think she should have to package up a cupcake given to her at a special event at school and bring it home to discuss whether or not to eat it? Absolutely not. I think that sets up unhealthy and unrealistic expectations about food.

As a mother to a daughter, I also think that this is an extremely unhealthy example to set for a young girl. In a society where women are flashed images of skinny models and actresses and society conveys the message that it's more important to be thin than smart, to reinforce this by analyzing every bit of food she eats sets her up for a potentially dangerous cycle.

I think this mom may have her own issues surrounding food and she's projecting them on to her children. The article says that she doesn't eat breakfast or lunch and squeezes meals in between workouts to avoid gaining any weight.

In helping our children eat healthy, I think we need to look at the bigger picture. We need to make the issue about health, not about food. Serve healthy, nutritious meals and encourage them to go outside and play. Teach them about how food is fuel for the body, and how we need vitamins to grow, carbohydrates for energy, that our muscles need protein and our bones need calcium. In my opinion, this, and setting a good example through the meals you prepare and your own eating and exercise habits, is the real way to combat childhood obesity.

But also tell them that, once in awhile, when you're at a birthday party, for example, that it is okay to have a piece of cake. But not five pieces, and not every day.

No comments: