February 28, 2011

I seriously love our weekends!

As usual we had another fantastic weekend!

The weather is finally coming back up (it was in the low-to-mid 80s here all weekend...I know you northern folks are hating us) and so I decided it was just too nice to stay in the house all day. I actually got up at a decent time (Scott is laughing reading this -- it was 8:30 when I got up!) and we ate breakfast and immediately hit the back yard to rake leaves, sweep the patio and play!

After that hard work was done, and I was putting away the broom and cleaning myself up a bit, I noticed Angelica was looking out the front door. There are three little girls who live on our street (ages 10, 7, and 4) and they were riding around in this motorized Barbie car. So, I told Angelica she could go out and play with her friends.

Now...both Scott and I are what I'd call..."socially awkward". I had thought Angelica had inherited this trait because she's always been pretty reserved around other kids. But nope, this time she just walked right up to these girls and started playing! They rode around our little cul-de-sac about 300 times in that Barbie car before doing wagon rides and sharing some juice and gummy snacks together. She was totally just hanging out with some buddies and having a great time. It was wonderful to see her open up like that!

Later that afternoon we went to the park to hang out with her friends Rylie and Bryce (and some of their friends, too)! She kind of went back to being her reserved self (I guess she used up all her social skills with the neighborhood kids) but still had a great time. We went for Italian Ice at Jeremiah's afterward and it was just wonderful.

Sunday we woke up and did the usual Sunday morning stuff...breakfast, church, Farmer's Market, then headed to a local indoor kids place called Amaya Papaya for some open play. I have to admit that her social skills deteriorated a bit while we were there...she hit a kid and then (much to my horror) kicked a baby and I had to put her in time out. After that she behaved herself and we had a lot of fun!

Last night we finally started our spring cleaning process...it was time to take the changing table out of her bedroom (we haven't used that thing in months). That made room for her toy box, which had been in a closet stuffed full of toys she hadn't used in a long time. Let me tell you, that was so exciting for her! She even helped me push that big toy chest down the hall like a big kid, and then had fun going through the box. It was mostly stuffed animals, so each one she'd take out and say, "Hey, it's a doggie!" (big hug), "Hey, it's a bunny!" (big hug), "Hey, it's a teddy bear!" (big hug). And so on. After that excitement, I packed away her winter clothes, vacuumed, and steam cleaned her carpet. Her room is now the neatest, tidiest room in the house!

Side note about the farmer's market yesterday: We've made it somewhat of a tradition to go out to lunch while we're downtown and then head back to the Farmer's Market to pick up anything that needs refrigeration so it doesn't go bad. Anyway, as we're packing up to leave, I was trying to discreetly count how much cash I had left for the farmer's market, and Angelica saw it and went nuts! She kept saying she wanted "THIRTY-SIX OF DOLLARS!" I have no idea why she wanted thirty-six! So we talked about money and I told her I didn't have that much to give her and she had a tantrum. Eventually I talked her down to six. And then one. And she guarded that dollar with her life. Until I snuck it away to spend on fresh-squeezed orange juice.

And so ended the weekend! I love that we always have our super fun adventures. I can't wait for the next one!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I love going to our Farmer's Market -- such a great way to spend morning or afternoon.

Ms D said...

Lucky!! I want Spring weather here. We are currently snowed in with over 2 feet of snow and still going! UGH! Glad your weekend was great :)