May 9, 2011

McFatty Monday - Why Run?

Why running?

This week I made generous use of my new gym membership, and have rediscovered my love for running. Even though two of the three days this week I was running indoors, there is just something about the activity, the way it gets my heart rate up, the way each day I could run further than the last, the way I feel exhausted from head to toe when I'm done that just makes me feel like I got a real workout.

Last summer, I started running while on vacation in the middle of July. Those of you who don't live in Florida probably don't know how hot it is here in July, especially in the mid afternoon, but for some reason, I just strapped on my shoes one day and got started. And I ran three times a week until sometime in October when for some unknown reason I stopped. It's kind of like...I was getting SO close to being able to run a 5k and the fear of success gripped me and I just quit.

But I got the best results health-wise from running. My blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, and many other markers of health improved dramatically. And now that I've started again, I am just HOOKED. So when I go to the doctor later this week for a checkup, I'm hoping that these markers of health are still hovering in the healthy range.

Well, no more. I am so glad to be running again, and even when I weighed in at 258.2 this week (sigh...the scale went up again), I still know I am running in the right direction, quite literally.

And I have to smile a bit (or a lot) when I pick up Angelica from daycare and she sees my hair in a ponytail and asks, "Mommy, you have a ponytail because you were running? You look so pretty!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! I love running, but it has taken years for me to get there (and running and I still have our bad days occasionally!)

Keep it up! It's the best feeling in the world to run further than last time, or faster, or just to reach a new goal (I recently ran my first half marathon)!

Keep up the great work!
Sarah

LeeAnn said...

I have never been much of a runner. But when I had a stress test and my cardiologist had me running uphill, I LOVED IT! It about killed me, but it felt so good. So I totally know that feeling you're talking about.

Keep it up!