July 29, 2009

Redheaded Moms, Redheaded Babies

When I was pregnant with Angelica, I got comments from just about everyone I knew about my red hair, and questioned on whether or not I thought our baby would have red hair. Knowing that it is a recessive trait, I always answered, "I sincerely doubt it!" After all, SuperScott has dark brown hair and I thought the odds of him also carrying the redhead gene were slim.

Fast forward to Angelica's birth...entering the world is this adorable little girl with red hair and brown eyes! Imagine my surprise! Everyone said, "I told you so!" I was absolutely thrilled, but then reflected over my days growing up as a redhead, getting called "Carrot top" and "Little Orphan Annie", among other, less...ahem...appropriate things. I was relentlessly teased by my classmates and hated being a redhead growing up. It wasn't until I was older that I realized how unique and fun it is!

So today, I came across this site -- Little Redheads Across America -- and I absolutely love it. The site is definitely a promotional tool for a book by the same name, but has some really cute features on it...games, fun facts about redheads, and a photo gallery full of cute pictures of redheaded kids. The book itself is $29.99. I may need to pick up a copy of it for my little redhead so that she can see pictures of other little ones just like her.

I love having my little redheaded partner in crime. I love it when people comment on how our hair matches. It absolutely makes my day.

A few fun facts about redheads posted on the Little Redheads Across America site:

  • Only 2% of Americans are redheads

  • 20 US Presidents have been redheads (including the first one - George Washington!) 

  • Only 18% of redheads have brown eyes (both Angelica and myself fall into this category! Cool!)

  • The most common eye color for redheads is blue (45%)

  • 40% of Scottish people carry the redhead gene, and 14% of Scots have red hair (only 10% of Irish people do!)


Check out the Little Redheads Across America site to read more fun redhead facts!

The above site review is the author's opinion. The author was not compensated by the Little Redheads Around America site in any way, shape or form. 

No comments: