January 15, 2013

Happy 2013!


Whew, time really got away from me! The last time I posted was right before Thanksgiving, so naturally, a lot has happened since then!

On Thanksgiving, I ran in a local Turkey Trot 5k race. If you've been reading for awhile, you know that the last race I ran was the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge, which was actually 3.5 miles, and I completed that in 59:53. That was back in July. The Turkey Trot 5k (3.1 miles) took place after some training and preparation, and I completed it in 45:08, which means when you adjust for distance, I cut about 12 minutes off of my race time. It's my personal best to-date, so I'm happy with it -- but my goal for 2013 is to run a 5k in under 30 minutes.

Me, after the 5k. Wearing the same shirt I wore for the JP Morgan Chase race. I look like a hot mess.
After the race, we went home, I cleaned up and we drove down to Connecticut to have Thanksgiving dinner with family down there. And I was so exhausted that even though I brought my camera, I didn't take pictures of the feasting. After all, I had been up all night cooking, and then got up early and ran 3.1 miles before making a 3 hour drive...what can you expect? I did take some cute pictures before we left though...

See, I clean up pretty good. But if you don't think I look cute, just look at my kid.




Of course, following Thanksgiving entered the craziness of the holiday season.

First and foremost, I GOT A PROMOTION!! I was super excited to have gotten promoted so quickly at work. My 1 year anniversary isn't until the end of February, so it was truly an honor. I love the company I work for and I hope to be there for quite some time. I also have some work friends to thank for helping to encourage me along the way, so anyone from work reading this -- THANKS!

We started off December 1st with a bit of snow, we went to a holiday party at a local rec center, and then to the Holly Faire at our church. Santa was at the holiday party, however, Angelica was freaked out by him so I decided not to force the issue. No Santa pics for us this year! Maybe next year...

Coloring a stocking. Sitting across from Santa. Trying to get the courage to sit on his lap.

Catching snowflakes on her tongue

A snow-touched tree on our patio.

Making an ornament for the tree (and a duck face)

Candy cane tattoo!

Santa is behind her (out of frame). This is as close as she would get.

She had just about had it at this point.

Later in the month, Angelica and I made a "gingerbread" house made out of graham crackers. It looked pretty but it did NOT keep well. Nevertheless, we had fun.




The finished product! That's a snowbathing gingerbread man on a green blanket, by the way.
And then came...CHRISTMAS!! Angelica got TWO Christmases this year...one in Connecticut at her Grandma and Grandpa's house, and one here in Boston. We started the day just the three of us, and Angelica opened the ridiculous amount of gifts that she got. Then I Skyped with my family back in Florida, and got to see my parents and sister and brother in law, and my amazing niece and nephew.

Later, all three of Scott's sisters came up to Boston to stay with us for a few days...which was AWESOME. I'm lucky to have three amazing sister-in-laws, and Angelica's lucky to have FOUR amazing aunts!

"Uncle"Mark (Aunt Jenn's boyfriend) got her a stylus for Daddy's iPad!






Grandma Tammy got her Princess Candy Land!

Grandma Tammy and Grandpa Joe got her a sled! This came in handy...you'll see!


She went through each and every candy in her stocking, arranged it by type and color and the one with the most "won".
Also, she got her much-wanted "glow sticks". That was all she asked Santa for this year when she wrote him a letter.








Angelica with (L-R) Jenn, Shannon, and Tarah

Family picture taken in front of a huge Christmas Tree at Fanueil Hall in Downtown Boston


Making ice cream with (L-R) Aunts Shannon and Tarah!


Kisses for Aunt Shannon's doggy Frankie!

Then, came the GREAT SNOWFALL OF 2012. Seriously, six inches in one 24 hour period and that was the most snow that fell in all of 2012 here in Boston. Angelica ATE IT UP.




















And that catches us up to present! We had a pretty laid back New Year's Eve...we had a couple of friends over and played board games (and Angelica played her Leappad, which was by far her favorite Christmas gift). Scott and I went back to work on January 2nd, and then on January 5th I came down with THE FLU. Ugh. I got my flu shot and everything. And then Angelica caught it. But we're all on the mend now and ready to embrace the rest of what 2013 has to offer!

By: Andrea Caruso

-->

1 comment:

Steph said...

Congratulations on a PR for your 5K. It's always exciting when your time improves in a race. :)