May 26, 2010

Angelica and the Tickle Monster

Once upon a time, I was a small child, and I seem to recall during that time my parents pretending to be a "tickle monster" and tickle me wildly. And I loved it. So naturally, I'd want to repeat this same thing with my kids, right?

Last night as I'm putting Angelica to bed, she decided to be playful and yank off her pajama shorts. She fought me tooth and nail to put them back on, so I started teasing her with, "We have to put them back on or the tickle monster is gonna getcha! Oh no, here he comes!" all the while getting her shorts over her wiggly feet.

All of a sudden she bursts into tears and yells, "MOMMY! I SCARED!"

Oops.

Big, fat tears roll down her cheeks as she wails about being scared so I stop and comfort her, apologize (about a thousand times) and then I whisper a secret in her ear.

"Guess what? Do you know who the tickle monster is? It's mommy!"

She wipes the tears from her eyes and whispers back, "Okay mommy."

Then I put her shorts back on and we continue reading stories.

Note to self: Add "tickle monster" to the list of things she's now scared of. (Other things include bugs and turning into a pumpkin.)

2 comments:

LeeAnn said...

We do the tickle monster too! Isn't that funny (well, not really FUNNY) how kids get scared over the weirdest things? Rylie got scared of her Elmo chair for a few nights...but that may have just been a ploy to get in our bed. ;-)

Sippy Cup Mom said...

Aw, that's so funny and cute!