January 13, 2011

Needs

I mentioned in my New Years Resolution post that one of my resolutions is to find more joy in parenthood, and the past few days have embodied that resolution so well. That's not to say that there haven't been a few pitfalls. Life with a 2 1/2 year old is unpredictable. But for the most part, there has been great joy.

I've been trying to get more face-time in with Angelica, so after we get home from school we've been heading to her room and making quite a mess of it by dragging out all of her toys and playing until it's time to cook dinner. We build big towers with blocks. We trace shapes. We read books. We feed her baby doll. We play with Woody and Jessie (and I think I should be concerned, because lately, she's been making them kiss each other!) We do puzzles, and color, and play with stickers and stamps and it reminds me why I got into this whole parenthood thing to begin with.

Yesterday as I was leaving work I had an involuntary reaction to something that really told me how I define parenting at this point in time. I'm sure you all can relate to this. I was wrapping up work. Exhausted, in a brain fog and just really wanting to go home and collapse into bed. And I thought to myself, "When I get home, I could nap, but there's a little girl who needs me."

And then the involuntary thought:
"But not as much as I need her."

And I was surprised by that. But then I realized how true that really is. The moments spent with her re-energize me. (The moments that don't include tantrums, that is.) I need those moments of experiencing her innocence to remind me what really matters in life.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks for linking up with us today. Just so you know, we all have been where you are, about finding the fun in parenting. I know I did. They are little for such a short time and I had to keep telling myself that. Now mine are 7 and 10 and I love these ages.

(I have been a follower of yours for a few weeks now...)

Melissa said...

Stopping by from the blog hop. I enjoyed reading this reflection on mommyhood. Have a great day! :o)

Design It Chic said...

Hey there, Andrea! Angelica looks so pretty and so does you entire blog:) I love it here! I am now following you thanks to Friendly Friday, and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
Also today we have the coolest blog hop there is... no rules just fun and would love you to join in with us at Boost My Blog Friday :) See you there! Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely totally agree! Lovely post. You are so right, we need them more than they need us, only it's not until they get older that they actually realise this! However, we should remember that without us, they wouldn't be the person they are.

It sounds like you have a lovely time spending time with Angelica. I used to do things like you describe with my daughter, Amy. She's 11 now and likes to entertain herself. But believe me, she has Barbie and Ken dolls who are always kissing! I do hope it's normal...!!

CJ xx